More people than ever before have turned to storage units to store their items. Most of this is due to the fact that people have accumulated more stuff than ever before, and as loved ones die or people move from home to home, they simply don’t have anywhere to put everything. Thus, people store their things in storage units until they need them. The most important thing people need to keep in mind when they turn to storage units is that they need to be sure that their items are safe. Here are five security precautions for your storage unit.
1. Security gates. This is perhaps the most important precaution regarding the security of your storage unit. Before renting one, you need to make sure that the facility has security gates at every entrance. If they do not, then anyone can enter the self storage facility at anytime. This greatly increases the chance that your unit will be burglarized or robbed. If they have a security gate, make sure it is one that each member has a personalized code for. In this way, facilities are able to track each and every person that enters, so if something does happen, they can narrow down the possible suspects.
2. Video surveillance. In addition to security gates, it is crucial that the storage unit facility you choose has video surveillance. Video surveillance is not only great at catching criminals in the act, but it also works to discourage people from criminal activity in the first place. Their video surveillance should be digital, and they should record each day and organize it accordingly. In this way, they can always go back and check a specific day to see if anything happened with your particular unit.
3. Get indoor units for valuables. To be fair, you should not be storing incredibly valuable items, such as jewelry, in a storage unit. However, for expensive items, such as electronics, records, and other items, you should rent an indoor unit. This will keep the items more protected.
4. Purchase the best lock. This may seem obvious, but regular locks are pretty easy to cut. Now, companies make locks that are specifically designed for storage units. They are nearly impossible to cut with bolt cutters, so they are able to keep your items safe. You don’t have to worry about anyone being able to break them.
5. Protect your items from weather and pests. Finally, in addition to all of these other security precautions, it is also important to protect your items within the unit by covering them with blankets and keeping boxes off of the ground. Also, by laying down a tarp, you protect your items from possible water damage.
One storage unit rental company that takes security serious is Storage Solutions. They have been working in the industry for decades, and they understand what it takes to ensure that your items are stored securely. They offer all five of the precautions outlined above, so when you store things with them you can be sure they’ll be there when you return.